Bellevue School has a strong vision that is articulated in the school’s motto, ‘Learners for Life’, in its mission statement, ’Together we make a difference, treasure the past, embrace the present, challenge the future’ and in its core values, ‘respect, responsibility, resourcefulness and resilience’.
The Board of Trustees, staff and parents are committed to:
- Maintaining an emotionally supportive environment where children can build on previous knowledge and work at their own level
- Providing children with learner centred programmes, fostering personalised learning, challenging their curiosity and promoting inquiry learning and creativity
- Respecting and embracing cultural diversity
- Making shared responsibility towards learning, paramount for children, teachers and parents
- Developing responsible, respectful, resilient and resourceful citizens and life long learners
- Creating a passport for future journeys so that dreams, hopes and talents are realised.
Montessori@Bellevue (M@B) was established in 2002 to provide Montessori Primary education in Tauranga for children aged from 6 to 11 years. Our teachers ensure that children receive the benefits of the Montessori philosophy and curriculum delivered within the framework of Bellevue School, the New Zealand Curriculum and National Standards for Primary Schools.
M@B is fully integrated within Bellevue School, giving the children access to the wider school programmes, facilities, social and sporting activities.
M@B is governed and administered by a registered Charitable Trust, Tauranga Montessori Education Trust (TMET). TMET was established to ensure a quality Montessori primary school would be available to children in the Tauranga area. The Trust was established in 2002 and has successfully governed the establishment of Montessori@Bellevue Primary, the largest Montessori Primary School in New Zealand. The Trust’s objective is to provide opportunities for children to be educated within a Montessori environment and Montessori@Arataki is the latest step in this journey.
M@B offers an enriching and challenging Montessori curriculum. Teachers facilitate creativity, independent thinking and responsibility through a specially prepared environment. Within this prepared environment the child is able to work at their own pace with a logical sequence of activities and materials. Teachers make careful observations and record each child’s progress.
The environment and class culture excites the imagination and entices the primary age child into a quest for knowledge. Historical timelines, pictorial charts, mathematical materials, collections of specimens, stimulating discussions, a teacher to facilitate and support learning … stimulates independent thinking and drives individual progress and learning at the child’s pace.